Good morning friends!
As those of you from the Upstate and especially Spartanburg know, our city and county (particularly Downtown) is on the rise, with the new Marriott AC hotel as a large project leading the way.
We have also been a leader in both the Upstate region and in South Carolina itself. We have had a lot of firsts over the last decade, including:
- Launching the B-Cycle program, the first bike-sharing system in the Southeast
- First in the state to earn recognition as a bicycle-friendly community by the League of American Bicyclists
- First in the Upstate with a medical school when the Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) opened facilities near Downtown in 2010
We’ve even had three first this year alone, with Spartanburg making its mark once again in SC as well as in other Upstate cities, including:
- Opening the first co-op grocery store in the state
- Local restaurant Willy Taco (launched in 2014) announced the opening of a Greenville location in April
- Local thrift store and coffee shop Brown Roof followed suit on August 1 that they will open a Greenville location as well
We will also have another first either later this year or early next year, as we open South Carolina’s first Poké restaurant, Pokenori (formerly Pokerrito) (a concept combining sushi with Hawaiian cuisine) – http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/new-restaurant-pokerrito-headed-downtown-spartanburg/.
Another first we will have is the first all-outdoor restaurant and beer garden in both the Upstate and South Carolina (and the first in both built from shipping containers) – FR8Yard. This concept is already seeing success in Chicago and Dallas.
We’re very proud of our firsts, and couldn’t have had many of these happen without you. Thank you all very much for making Spartanburg a great place to live and visit! #VisitSpartanburg
UPDATE: For other great articles on our ONE and only Spartanburg, keep up-to-date with the latest issues of Business View online (or subscribe to the print version) – http://www.spartanburgchamber.com/businessview.